Saturday, March 23

Words on my Walls

Happy Spring!!  Every year when spring arrives I get giddy.  I love springtime, and I'm always convinced it's my favorite season (until Fall shows up, and then Fall is my favorite - I go through this debate every year).

With the new season gearing up, I'm wanting to "renew" my surroundings.  The house we live in is a blank canvas - the walls are white, and the owner prefers we don't paint.  This is fun in a way, but I admit after living here over a year, I've officially decided I don't like white walls.  Too bland for me.  But, I can't change it, so I'm doing the next-best thing: adding more/new decorations.

I recently spotted a DIY project over on one of my favorite blogs, A Beautiful Mess.  The project was to hand-paint a phrase on a wall.  I love the look of it, but can't get away with it in our current home.  So, I adapted the idea for our place.

First, I had to decide what words or phrases I wanted to use.  Adam and I are both big fans of the classic novel, To Kill a Mockingbird.  I sifted through some of my favorite quotes and settled on this one: "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read.  Once does not love breathing."  Solid choice, right?

Next, I had to choose my materials.  I bought a simple blank canvas and a black paint pen.  The canvas was on sale at Hobby Lobby.  I seriously love HL.  Anyhow,  I considered colored ink, but quickly decided that when we eventually have our own home, who knows what color the walls with be, and I want this piece to adapt well to other spaces down the road.

Finally, I was ready to create.  I knew I was going to do it freehand, but didn't want it to look exactly like my handwriting, so I put the phrase into "Jane Austen" font on my computer and used that as a guildeline.  It barely took me 10 minutes.   I didn't plan on the wording to line up exactly the way they did, but I still like it.  Here's the finished product:




Simple, but I'm happy with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment